Back in 1984, Michael Jackson and his brothers filmed a commercial for Pepsi-Cola that went horribly wrong and is now believed to have sparked the later pop legend’s lethal addiction to prescription painkillers.
On Wednesday, the previously unseen footage was released by UsMagazine.com.
The $1.5 million commercial — filmed at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles — used extreme pyrotechnics that famously caught MJ’s on fire.
In the clip, Jackson is seen successfully finishing one take of the commercial where pyrotechnics go off around him, but on the sixth take, the explosion happens too soon and Jackson’s hair ignites.
Michael, then 25, suffered second and third degree burns on his scalp and body.