“Kung Fu Panda” #1 Weekend Box Office Opening $60 Million
Like Us On Facebook
It was a good opening weekend at the box office for good-natured comedies. Kung Fu Panda, the story of a panda named Po who dreams of glory as a martial arts master, featuring the voiceover work of Angelina Jolie, Jack Black and Dustin Hoffman, kicked the competition’s butt earning $60 million its opening weekend, according to earlier projections.
Adam Sandler’s You Don’t Mess with the Zohan brought in an estimated $40 million, taking the Number 2 spot. Sandler stars as Zohan in the slapstick comedy about an Israeli commando who fakes his own death to pursue his dream of becoming a hairstylist in New York City.
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, the fourth installment in the Indiana Jones film franchise came in third with $22.8 million, while last weekend’s box office champ Sex And The City dropped to a disappointing fourth, earning $21.3 million.
Here’s how the Top Ten rounded out:
1. Kung Fu Panda, $60 million.
2. You Don’t Mess With the Zohan, $40 million.
3. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, $22.8 million.
4. Sex and the City, $21.3 million.
5. The Strangers, $9.3 million.
6. Iron Man, $7.5 million.
7. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, $5.5 million.
8. What Happens in Vegas, $3.4 million.
9. Baby Mama, $780,000
10. Made Of Honor, $775,000.