The Dennis Quaid/Kimberly Quaid 60 Minutes special we told you about last month will air on CBS this Sunday. The actor and his wife will chronicle the trauma of nearly losing their infant twins after braindead bozos at L.A’s Cedars-Sinai Medical Center mistakenly gave them an overdose.
In the interview, which is set to air on Sunday night at 7 p.m. on CBS, Dennis says: “They happen in every hospital in every state in this country and … I’ve come to find out, there’s 100,000 people a year killed … in hospitals by a medical mistakes. It’s bigger than AIDS. It’s bigger than breast cancer. It’s bigger than automobile accidents and yet, no one seems to be really aware of the problem.”
Twins Boone and Zoe were born on November 8, 2007, but returned to the hospital after coming down with staph infections. While hospitalized, the babies were accidentally administered 1,000 times the necessary dose of a blood thinning medication used to flush out IV lines. Thankfully, Boone and Zoe are doing much better now.
“We all have this inherent thing that we trust doctors and nurses, that they know what they’re doing,” Dennis tells the newsmagazine. “This mistake occurred right under our noses … the nurse didn’t bother to look at the dosage on the bottle. It was avoidable, completely avoidable.”