David Copperfield Rape Investigation Closed
On Tuesday, the two-year rape investigation targeting illusionist David Copperfield was been closed by prosecutors in Washington State. No charges were filed against the celebrity after police said his accuser made a false sex assault claim against another man last month.
The woman who accused Copperfield of raping her, a 23-year-old fashion model, waitress and former Miss Washington contestant, said in a related civil lawsuit against Copperfield that she met him when he pulled her out of the crowd and on to the stage during a performance in Kennewick, in southeastern Washington. She was later invited to visit his private island in the Bahamas in July 2007.
The still-unidentified woman claimed that, once she arrived, Copperfield, whose real name is David Kotkin, sexually assaulted her, in one instance holding her head under water to coerce her.
The beauty queen was questioned by police last month over allegations she tried to extort $2,000 from a businessman for sex, according to police reports. An official police report states the woman told a businessman she would have sex with him for $2,000 after performing oral sex on him in a hotel room in Bellevue, Washington on December 2.
When he refused to pay, the woman went to the lobby where she allegedly complained to workers she had been “taken advantage of.”
The illusionist’s lawyers, Angelo Calfo and Patty Eakes, previously called the rape lawsuit “extortion for money, plain and simple…”