So, it took me far longer than I care to admit to start watching one of the best teen dramas ever made: Friday Night Lights. A month spent obsessively Netflixing fixed that egregious error, and now, I can’t ever look back.
In case you’re like me, and have lived under a rock since the show debuted in 2006, Friday Night Lights chronicles the ups and downs of a football coach Eric Taylor and his family, when he becomes coach of Texas’s #1 football team. It comes with a vivacious cast of characters who are as well-written as they are complex.
Oh, and two words: Tim Riggins.
This show, in all of its five seasons, alternately made me roar with laughter and weep with sorrow. Mostly weep, ’cause this show brings the feels.
If you’re a seasoned FNL fan, you’ll remember these iconic sad and touching moments.
1. When the paralyzed Jason Street comes to the football field for the first time since his injury:
Jason Street was poised to become the next great NFL quarterback. He was the best quarterback in America when he was injured at the opening game of the season and became an incomplete quadriplegic. His bravery was constantly an inspiration.
2. When Coach Taylor hugs Matt, and it’s like Matt has a father again:
*Sigh.* All Matt ever wanted was a parent to take care of him. And the Coach’s daughter.
3. When Tami Taylor gets the axe for helping a pregnant student:
Tami was totally wronged just for helping a pregnant student get an abortion, which Tami didn’t even advise her to do.
4. When Tim Riggins didn’t want anything else:
Alas, Tim and Lyla were pretty much doomed from the start.
5. When Matty had a full-on breakdown:
Matt carried a lot on his young shoulders, and it all bubbled up after his girlfriend dumped him and moved back home to Guatemala. That’s got to hurt.
6. When Tami gives Eric some big news:
Tami and Eric were the ultimate in #relationshipgoals.
7. When Landry (Lance?) saves Tyra from an almost-rape:
Another romance doomed from the start.
8. When Matt calls Julie after totally bailing on her:
As much as Julie Taylor grated on my nerves, she really loved Matt (who wouldn’t?) and she gave him an earful after he takes off for Chicago without so much as telling her.
9. When Coach Taylor had the best advice for a struggling Vince Howard:
Vince Howard, the unsung hero of the last two seasons.
10. When Matt’s father died, and Julie had to break the news to him: